Nursing assistant training focuses on the role of a CNA in a skilled nursing facility. The didactic and clinical components focus primarily on skilled nursing care. The Acute Care Nursing Assistant Training course focuses on broadening the CNA’s scope of knowledge and clinical experience to include skills required to work in an acute care setting.
This program prepares students to work as an entry-level healthcare program with individuals in both long-term care facilities and acute care hospitals.
This course covers the pathophysiology, treatment and nursing care of various diseases and disorders. The competency-based curriculum provides a review of nursing assistant skills with emphasis on specialized acute care areas.
During the hybrid program, students will learn to:
- Identify the role of the nursing assistant as a member of the healthcare team.
- Understand nursing care and including the introduction to the systems of the human body, the nature of disease and common health problems.
- Identify key medical terms and communication skills required in the healthcare setting.
- Apply principles of infection control in the healthcare setting.
- Demonstrate ability to perform nursing assistant skills in a safe manner such as report patient observations to the nurse.
- Recognize how to respond to a variety of patient needs and conditions.
The 120 hour program is comprised of 88 hours of online classroom, 18 hours of in-classroom or hybrid online/classroom and 32 hours of clinical experience. Onsite clinical training will either be at Adventist Health Castle Medical Center or The Queen’s Medical Center.
At the completion of the course, students who have met the requirements of program will be eligible to take the Hawaii State Prometric Nurse Aide Certification Examination.
More information about Hawaii State Certification and Recertification Requirements for Nurse Assistants on the Prometric website.
Requirements for Admission
- 18 years of age or older
- High School graduate or GED equivalent
- Able to read, write, and communicate in English language
- No records of crimes, arrest, assault of any kind
- Criminal background check
- Valid photo ID card
- Physical Exam
Immunization records and/or titers (lab work)
- COVID-19 vaccine
- 2 MMR shots or Titers for MMR
- 2 Varicella shots or Titers
- 3 Hepatitis B shots or Titers
- Tdap (within 10 years at time of application)
- Influenza vaccine
- 2-Step PPD (two negative TB skin tests) OR one blood test
- If TB test is positive, a chest x-ray is required
- Chest x-ray results must be dated within five years
Tuition and Fees – $1375
- Textbook rental and supplies
- Basic Medical Terminology
- Bloodborne Pathogens Training
- AHA BLS Provider CPR
- Clinical Skills Lab and Practicum
- Scrub Uniform
- Student Liability Insurance
“I really enjoyed the Nursing Assistant course! I certainly would recommend this to people exploring a new job in healthcare and to people like myself who need to consolidate the knowledge that they have attained over time.”
– Beth S.